Follow sarawlmsn on Twitter http://facebooklogin.ws/2009/12/facebook-login/

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sister Kate's Chicken and Biscuits


Southern Fried Chicken

My baby sister has always disliked cheese, butter and seafood. Last week she called me and said she loved the photos on my blog, but hated that I always included cheese and seafood in my posted dishes. I asked her if I could cook anything for her what would it be and she said, "Fried Chicken." I promised her that my next post would be fried chicken. In addition, her only other request was that I fried it in a skillet, because she did not own a fryer. I agreed to the challenge. When developing the recipe for fried chicken, the dish was missing something and I thought of course Kate loves biscuits. What is better than fried chicken and biscuits, not much in my book! With love to my sweet sister, who always inspires me.
Honey Biscuits

Southern Fried Chicken Recipe

Makes: 10 serving pieces
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

5 chicken drumsticks
5 chicken thighs
4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups canola or peanut oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce

Rinse the chicken pieces with cold water, pat dry with paper towels. 

In a small bowl, combine 3 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and cayenne pepper. Rub well over all chicken pieces. Place chicken in a baking dish and cover with foil. Refrigerate for one hour. 

Remove and pour buttermilk over the chicken pieces until all pieces are covered. Add Tabasco Sauce and mix to combine. Cover again and refrigerate overnight. 

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat at 375 degrees. 

In a medium bowl, combine flour, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine. Remove each piece of chicken from buttermilk and shake off extra liquid, dredge in flour and let sit on drying rack for 5-10 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 200 degrees and line baking sheet with paper towels. 

Fry chicken a few pieces at a time, do not crowd the skillet. Cook for 15 minutes. Turn after 7 minutes to ensure all sides are crispy. Remove chicken and place on paper towel cookie sheet. Put in oven to keep warm. Repeat. 
_________________________________________

Honey Biscuit Recipe

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

2 cups of flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of unsalted butter, cubed
2/3 cup of whole milk
Honey

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet.

In a large bowl, sift in flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Mix in 2/3 cup of milk and combine well with hands. 

Place dough on floured service, roll out and cut into circles or drop dough in tablespoon sizes onto the cookie sheet. 

Cook for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Remove and brush honey onto the top of the warm biscuits. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment